Every morning before the doors of the Eugene Public Library open, people start to gather. They are old and young, grandparents and parents with children, business owners and retirees, students and their friends. They come seeking information, computer time, enrichment and enlightenment.
When the door opens, they stream in. They come from all corners of Eugene and from all economic circumstances. They find a public library that is free and open to all, equally, and a library staff ready to help.
In 2002, Eugene Public Library relocated to a new building at 10th and Charnelton. As well as this Dowtown branch, there are also Sheldon and Bethel branches. Our award-winning public library continues to provide personal enrichment for the people of Eugene. With a collection of 500,000 items, there is something for everyone.
Come learn about our library. Call the Foundation office at 541-338-7018 for a personal backstage tour. You will be amazed!
Facts About the Eugene Public Library
- 1,137,194 people visited the library (a 10% increase from last year)
- 301 volunteers gave 14,397 hours of their time to service at the library
- Circulation reached 2,689,691 (including 187,427 in electronic materials)
- 101,655 community members have a Eugene Public Library card
- The number of materials (physical and electronic items) increased by 120,610 (11% since last year!)
- This includes 769 audio materials and 10,534 e-books!
- 111,321 Lucky Day books were checked out
- There were 1,300 visitors to the Open Lab and 1,200 to Maker Lab classes
- 1,467 people visited the Media Lab
- Curious library-goers asked 114,764 reference questions
- 40,284 children attend 1,235 children’s programs
- 1,564 young adults attend 133 young adult programs
- 11,210 adults attended 1,755 adult programs
- 216,980 people used the public internet computers
- All three Library branches have wireless internet access.
- Laptop lending was implemented in Spring 2017. Each branch has 6.
Read more about the Foundation’s support of our public library, in our Annual Reports.